BBC School Report Day - 27 March 2014
Click the logo above to go to our school report page.
Queen Elizabeth’s Grammar, Alford, is a Selective Academy, currently having approximately 575 pupils on roll. The school is a very friendly and caring community in which pupils are known individually and valued. We provide a calm, happy and purposeful atmosphere and strive to help all pupils to achieve their full potential. In our last full Ofsted inspection we were awarded the top rating, ‘OUTSTANDING’.
The report included the following comments:
"The school’s care, guidance and support are outstanding."
"Pupils make exceptional progress."
"Pupils’ personal development is outstanding. They have exemplary attitudes to their learning. Their behaviour and attendance are excellent. Sixth form students … provide impressive examples for others."
In July 2010 an interim assessment also awarded us the top grade – Outstanding, and a subject inspection for Business Studies and related subjects in 2012 rated us Outstanding in all categories.
As a Business & Enterprise College, students are encouraged to be enterprising and departments all have good links with the business world. Students can set up their own businesses, trading in school, and there is a venture fund to support them. As a high-performing Specialist School, we were also selected to be a Training School. This benefited the school and the community by developing further professional research into learning and teaching, providing a centre of excellence for training and for sharing good practice widely, and using student voice to enhance learning and teaching.
We recognise the value of developing the whole person and therefore provide an extensive range of extra-curricular activities (run by staff and senior students) and many leadership opportunities. These include an annual Y12 Study Tour to Sydney, Australia and a biannual World Challenge Expedition (to Bolivia in 2014).
We are very proud of our students and their wide-ranging achievements. These have included:
- 2010 GCSE results placing us 19th in the UK based on 100% of Y11 students meeting the national benchmark of 5 or more grades at A*-C including English and Maths and an average points score of 628.
- In 2013 again 100% of Y11 students gaining 5+ A*-C grades at GCSE (one of just 3 schools in the county).
- At A Level, in 2013, all students gained at least 3 good passes with 71% of all grades at A*- B. These results placed us 2nd in the County.
- Value-added through all key stages is high and in 2012 we received an award for being in the top 10% nationally for the progress pupils make whilst at Queen Elizabeth’s.
- In our Charity Week this year we raised £5,000 for LIVES.
- Pupils and staff have maintained a school garden, which supplies some fruit and vegetables to the canteen.
- Membership of the Young Journalist Academy.
- Our school radio station run by students.
- County champions in U14 mixed rounders.
The information on this website will, I hope, provide you with a flavour of Queen Elizabeth’s. There is so much more, however, than any website could ever convey. To appreciate fully the way we work, I strongly recommend that you pay us a visit. Please come and talk to me, meet the students and their teachers and see the excellent facilities.